CJ 450 Week 4 Midterm -
Which of the following is the most accurate regarding left-wing terrorism?
- As of the 1990s, they were the primary face of terrorism across the globe.
- They all went into decline after failing to achieve their goals.
- They dominated the terrorist landscape through most of the twentieth century.
- They were universally inspired by the form of Marxism developed by Lenin.
How did the end of the Cold War affect modern terrorist organizations?
- Many turned toward the use of violence to support the ethnic or religious communities from which they came.
- The collapse of the Soviet Union caused them to loose faith in their utopian socialist ideals, which they replaced with globalization.
- The loss of their superpower patrons tightened the restraints on their activities to a loss of financial and material support.
- They began to foster a variety of political ideologies once the superpowers no longer prevented them from political activities.
Which group of left wing terrorists is responsible for the assassination of a US President?
- The Symbionese Liberation Army
During what time period did we see the emergence of terrorism in support of the anti-colonial movement?
What offensive goal does violence serve for religiously motivated terrorists?
- To bring about the end of the world
- To preserve their religious rights
- To protect their faith against modern culture
- To shape society in their own image
Which of the following provides religiously motivated terrorists with a decentralized network of support?
- Their belief in a ‘higher law’ – i.e., the demands of god – authorizes them to disregard the legitimacy of civil authority and secular values.
- Their disconnection from the societies they are trying to replace means they have very little restraints on the means they use to achieve their goals.
- They are motivated by a religious interpretation that is intended to appeal to people from many different segments of society.
- They fully embrace a zero-sum struggle in which all nonbelievers are legitimate targets of violence.
Which ideological wave represents the most growing terrorist threat in the United States since the 1990s?
- State sponsored terrorism
Which group represents the smallest number of people?
According Crenshaw’s stages leading to terrorism, which of the following is a reaction to trigger events?
Which of the following is a characteristic of states that sponsor terrorism over long periods of time?
- A repressive system of governance
- A tendency to accept blame for its own domestic problems
- Ambitious goals restricted to domestic politics
- Framing internal actors as state enemies
What is the term used to describe areas within an otherwise secure state where terrorists are able to take advantage of the state’s inability to exercise effective control?
1.What type of terrorist organizations did the regime of Saddam Hussein support prior to its overthrow?
- Those devoted to fighting Soviets in Afghanistan
- Those devoted to Islamic revolution
- Those devoted to the liberation of Palestine
- Those devoted to Wahhabi ideologies
Which of the five pillars of Islam have militant radical Muslims in Saudi Arabia taken advantage of in order to acquire funding?
Which type of factors leads states to withdraw their sponsorship of terrorism?
- Prolonged economic sanctions
Which of the following has been successfully used in a terrorist attack?
Which of the following is an example of a chemical weapon?
Which of the following is one of Cronin’s explanations for how terrorist groups come to an end?
- It transitions from a legitimate political organization to a politically violent belligerent.
- The group is unable to achieve its goals for so long that it eventually resigns its fight.
- The leader is captured or killed, which is especially detrimental to decentralized organizations.
- The organization successfully transitions from one generation to the next.
Which of the following is the least likely source of funding for a terrorist organization?
- Terrorists becoming involved in criminal activities
- Terrorists benefitting from the support of a state sponsor
- Terrorists operating their own legitimate businesses
- Terrorists receiving donations from private organizations
What is the most likely way that a terrorist organization motivated by social justice would come to finance its operations through the illegal drug trade?
- It would incorporate the use of narcotics into its ideas of what a just society should look like.
- It would view its activities as a form of attack against narco-trafficking organizations that do not share its ideology of social justice.
- It would view its members’ use of illegal drugs as a legitimate means for escaping the reality of social injustice.
- It would view the illegal drug trade as a necessary evil in the short run in order to achieve its social goals in the long run.
Which of the following is the most common and lucrative way for a terrorist organization to acquire financial support?
- Acquiring a state sponsor for its activities
- Becoming involved in criminal activities
- Funneling funding through legitimate charities
- Raising funds through the sale of memorabilia